Easter has always been one of my favourite holidays as it serves as a sign that Spring has arrived presenting the opportunity for fresh starts and new beginnings, something that I have always found to be hopeful and uplifting. I also absolutely adore all the pastel designs, colourful flowers and of course the chocolate eggs that line the shelves. Some of my earliest memories revolve around Easter related activities, with the likes of Easter egg hunts around the house, church services with school and baking with my mum being my fondest.
I always get excited when Creme Eggs and Mini Eggs begin to make their way into the shops and it's a household tradition to use these quintessentially British goodies to make Easter treats. This week, it was also my turn to bring in cake for my media clas and so I decided to play around with a few recipes we've attempted in the past and come up with something of my own to present to them, after debating whether to make a classic Rice Krispie near or a festive Rocky Road I eventually decided on a compromise - enter the Easter Rocky Road Krispie Cake.
This recipe made 12 large pieces - you can easily half the recipe for a smaller batch! Also, I used rough estimates on all ingredients except the butter and syrup - you can add in more or less of any ingredients as desired.
800g Milk / Dark Chocolate
125g Unsalted Butter
125g Golden Syrup
100g Rice Krispies
100g Mini Marshmallows
2 x Bags of Mini Eggs - Crushed
1 x Bag of Mini Creme Eggs
100g White Chocolate
Anything else you want to add!
- Line a tin with greasproof paper - I used a 9" rectangular tin
- In a large bowl, melt the Milk Chocolate, Butter and Syrup together until smooth - this is best done in a bowl over a pan of water on low heat - make sure you stir regularly, ensure the heat is not too high as this will result in burnt chocolate and don't get any water in the bowl as it will ruin the chocolate. You could also use a microwave, in short 20 second intervals until mixture is smooth.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies, Marshmallows, 1 & 1/2 bags of Mini Eggs ( I crushed them with a rolling pin) and 1/4 of the White Chocolate (I used chocolate chunks).
- Pour into tin and spread out with a spatula ensuring you have an even spread and flat surface - place in the fridge.
- After about 1-2 hours, melt remaining White Chocolate using preferred technique. Remove the Rocky Road from the fridge and drizzle melted White Chocolate on top - additionally you could spread it to give an even coverage. Top with the remaining crushed Mini Eggs, halved Creme Eggs and Mini Marshmallows. Place back into the fridge.
- Refrigerate until set and cut into equal pieces of desired size!
I absolutely love this recipe, it's so simple but looks and tastes amazing! But be warned, it's incredibly sweet - my class labelled me as trying to give them diabetes, obesity, a heart attack and just straight up murdering them - however it was certainly rave reviews all round. This is definitely one I'm going to start making every year!
Do you have any Easter Traditions, or favourite Easter recipes? I'd love to hear them in the comments below!